Now, I’m no professional photographer and I don’t have access to the necessary props, kit and know-how to make my own images so I scour around the wonder that is ‘Google Images’ to find what I hope fits.
I am conscious of copyright laws so:
- I first use the Google Images ‘usage rights’ filter to see if there is an image that is clearly ‘free to use or share’;
- If I can’t find a suitable image that is clearly ‘free to use or share’ then I will pick an image that I don’t think should matter to the person or organisation that created it
- My rationale for this is that there are gazillions of images on Google for which the creator is probably perfectly comfortable with their respectful re-use…indeed they may gain from this (e.g. brand recognition);
- If I select an image in which its re-use is unclear and there is an obvious source then I will make sure that this is showing either in the image or at the bottom of the post, thereby providing the image creator with the credit
- If I happen to have used an image that you:
- legally hold the usage rights; but
- haven’t granted usage/sharing rights; and
- are unhappy about me using it in the manner that I have*
…then please let me know and I will remove it ASAP and replace it with something else.
* Note: This site is a non-commercial endeavor.
Hope the above makes sense and seems reasonable.
…and for completeness, the source of the brain image I use for my Gravatar is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/flamephoenix1991/8376271918/in/photostream/